Shooters Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Cactus:
I'm techno challenged and the Lowe knife is on Kodiak island. I have a Rhuana and a Hudson Bay knife out of Montana, Smith I think made it.
NW
Rhuana! Haven't heard o them in years. There were two makers I knew of in Montana in the early 70's Rhuana was one of them. Their knive's Had metal handles, looked like aluminum and blade's always had grinder marks, not finished very well. But they sold enough to stay in business all these years, I'd bet the original owner isn't even around anymore. Gonna have to look up a web site for them and see what they are doing now. Back then, the shop was in East Missoula.

OK, I looked. Beautiful knives! Absolutely nothing like the knives of the early 70's. I see they are in Bonner now too.

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
Rudi Ruana was one of the pioneers of the 'custom' knife world and a recycler at heart. He was one of the first to use S-7 steel though be probably didn't know it because he used salvaged planer blades from the big lumber mills. He also reclaimed beer cans and shed elk antlers for handle materials. And a nice guy to boot!

I have quite a few Ruana knife pictures from the '70s if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

This is a favorite of mine. I took a chance and ordered three with consecutive numbers (they made only 150) from Pakistan. The scales are camel bone and buffalo horn. I gave one to my son, one to his best friend and kept one for me. They have turned into excellent general use deer hunting/camping knives. I liked them so much I bought a skinning version for myself before they were all gone. The blades are robust. The steel is hard so I had to buy diamond coated rods for my Spyderco Sharpmaker. But, they take a wonderful edge and hold on to that edge with great tenacity. I had always stuck with knives that were relatively easy to sharpen, not being interested in a really hard steel. These, however, have changed my mind on that issue. The blade shape does not look like anything in particular, but have proven to be very practical. Had them about 15 years or so now.

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
127 Posts
My favorite knife maker?

Favorite knife maker?? Me.

440-C, Hollow ground, taper tang, big horn sheep scales, Cryo heat-treat to 58c.
Jack,
that's is out of my league for quality! BEAUTIFUL work.
Three questions.
!) Did you do the engraving and how if you did?
2) How do you determine a 58c grade?
3)is 440-C the metal , like stainless?

·
Registered
95 Posts
not even sure if they are around any more but i've had two of there knives since the late 70'S, Marbles Knives. awesome quality and here in america. Not sure if that's the case either if they are still in business.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
i was looking to retire my buck 110. she has gutted God knows how many deer and a bear. it was 5 or 6 years ago, my brother and i went to a gun show in stonewall resort, wv and i found the one. she is sharp and well made damascus steel(made from steel banding).
The Dominion Post | Marvin Wotring Knifemaker | Photo 9(see his work)

well anyway, i was cruising the aisle when i seen some company that makes custom knives. for their price(which was way way way high) you could at least shave with the knife. i did, it can't. and the customization was done by a laser. everybody, i mean everybody was in line for a custom knife. i said "they don't have what i want" and cruised on. then all of a sudden i see an old guy sitting there and a table full of custom knives and nobody there. i go over to talk with him about their custom knives. he goes " yes sir, they're made by hand from bike chains, steel banding and i have one that was made from a harley davidson motorbike chain." he then showed me many knives but my eyes always came back to the One. i said "how much for that one?" he said "70 bucks and it urs."(i just love the way southern ******** talk, you have to be there i guess) he never seen a guy as fast as i was!!! i gave him $80 and told him he could keep the change.

Marvin Wotring owner of The MT Rifle Shop

·
Registered
127 Posts
Stealth Cam (A well known brand)

I just bought a Stealth Cam for $79 bucks yesterday , it was originally $129.
It was on sale as a close out.
No longer made.
I can now attest to that being a good idea, because it doesn't work worth a crap.
It's going back to Dunhams today.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For me, Spyderco for a folder. My EDC is a Manix 2 made of MAXAMET STEEL AT rC 68.

I've used it every day for 2 years and it's still straight razor sharp.

For fixed blades, I stick to Bob Dozier and Bark River.

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm from Michigan and a big fan of Bark River Knives, own 3 of them. I also have a very useful reasonably priced knife from a guy in Ohio who used to be part of the Blind Horse Knife works...JT Wright. The shape and feel of the blade has made it my favorite for deer hunting. Holds an edge well and is imminently usable.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Custom is Randall Made , a 1965 article in "True" magazine ignited a life long passion for Randall's . I would order a knife , put down the deposit and during the 2 or 3 year wait save up the money . I did that every few years untill I had an example of just about every knife , custom made with my special touches , for each cataloged and many non-cataloged knives. Just looking at them brings great pleasure...truly works of art .

Factory Folders I like the Kershaw Line of knives . The assisted openers designed by Ken Onion got me started , after that I just got addicted to them all , some are very nicely designed , decent steel and very affordable to boot !

Gary

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was able to find my GRAIL knife on a bushcraft site this spring. A Bark River Aurora CPM3V. Will report back ina few months, but think this knife will do everything I want for hunting, and show up for church on Sunday

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
I've been wanting an Aurora for years now. But I think if I dedicate it specific to bushcraft, I would get their scandi-grind bushcrafter.

ON EDIT: I just checked DLT Trading's Bark Rivers. They are now making an Aurora with a scandi-grind! Very nice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've been wanting an Aurora for years now. But I think if I dedicate it specific to bushcraft, I would get their scandi-grind bushcrafter.

ON EDIT: I just checked DLT Trading's Bark Rivers. They are now making an Aurora with a scandi-grind! Very nice.
StretchNM, I have 2 knives that cover a lot of ground. One is that convex Aurora, and the other is an EnZo Camper in D2 with a scandi grind. The Camper was my favorite, until the Aurora showed on a trade blanket at a price I could afford.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts