Shooters Forum banner

Your favorite knife maker

28K views 128 replies 85 participants last post by  Model 52 
#1 · (Edited)
Who is Your favorite knife manufacturer?

I know this is a firearm forum and this sub forum is labeled "hunting knives", but who is your favorite knife maker regardless of if they make "hunting knives" or simply make every day carry knives?

I ask because I'm a very big Knife guy as of the last few years. More so than firearms really. I've carried a knife for as long as I can remember. My father was never into firearms or hunting but knives and fishing, bikes, off-road, etc... was always a thing we did when growing up. I can remember getting my first pocket knife when I was very young. I have since lost it because that's how young I was :)
It was nothing fancy, a simple folding knife with around a 1.5" blade with a mother of pearl handle.

Anyways, up till a couple years ago, "A knife was a knife" to me. It didn't matter where it came from or what it was made from, as long as it cut, it was good! I have now been ruined. I have a big thing for American Made knives using quality materials. I'm hoping to get some good options out of the responses given in the replies to this thread! :)

To answer my own question:

I am a big Benchmade fan. I've carried a Barrage assisted open knife every day for the last 2 years almost.

The only other brand I buy is Buck. I like several knives that Buck makes as well. The only problem I have with Buck is the fact that about 20% of their knives are made in China... just make it all in America and raise the price a little so I don't have to worry about that :)

I never had a Buck "EDC" or pocket folder knife till recently. I've actually been carrying it instead of my benchmade. The factory edge on it is just as good as the benchmade, but time will tell how well it will hold that edge. They both use different steels and manufacturing processes. The Buck knife was considerably cheaper though but of good quality.

I buy things from foreign countries but I tend to try and buy American when I can. Knives and guns are a big one there. I will admit I'm a big fan of European manufacturers of firearms though. I try to avoid "Made in China" as much as possible though.

See less See more
#90 ·
Stealth Cam (A well known brand)

I just bought a Stealth Cam for $79 bucks yesterday , it was originally $129.
It was on sale as a close out.
No longer made.
I can now attest to that being a good idea, because it doesn't work worth a crap.
It's going back to Dunhams today.

#91 ·
For me, Spyderco for a folder. My EDC is a Manix 2 made of MAXAMET STEEL AT rC 68.

I've used it every day for 2 years and it's still straight razor sharp.

For fixed blades, I stick to Bob Dozier and Bark River.

Reactions: StretchNM
#92 ·
I'm from Michigan and a big fan of Bark River Knives, own 3 of them. I also have a very useful reasonably priced knife from a guy in Ohio who used to be part of the Blind Horse Knife works...JT Wright. The shape and feel of the blade has made it my favorite for deer hunting. Holds an edge well and is imminently usable.

#94 ·
Custom is Randall Made , a 1965 article in "True" magazine ignited a life long passion for Randall's . I would order a knife , put down the deposit and during the 2 or 3 year wait save up the money . I did that every few years untill I had an example of just about every knife , custom made with my special touches , for each cataloged and many non-cataloged knives. Just looking at them brings great pleasure...truly works of art .

Factory Folders I like the Kershaw Line of knives . The assisted openers designed by Ken Onion got me started , after that I just got addicted to them all , some are very nicely designed , decent steel and very affordable to boot !

Gary

#96 · (Edited)
I've been wanting an Aurora for years now. But I think if I dedicate it specific to bushcraft, I would get their scandi-grind bushcrafter.

ON EDIT: I just checked DLT Trading's Bark Rivers. They are now making an Aurora with a scandi-grind! Very nice.

#103 ·
I have been looking at the Bark River line up Canadian, Snowy river, Gunny hunter, Aurora hunter..... decisions decisions.... right now I have a bunch of folders carry mostly spyderco have the bark river rascal I carry from time to time. but there has always been a knife in my pocket

#105 ·
A custom Limited Issue of 1, called The Hunt, by the late Phill Hartsfield. He donated the knife to the Mannlicher Collector's Association in 1998. I was fortunate enough to win the bid on the knife. It has given many years of fine service in the field.
Lately, William Collins (www.wcknives.com) (youtube William Collins channel) and the knives he offers. Good honest woods, game and field craft knives.

#107 ·
Folders : I'm a Kershaw Speed Safe fan now days . Fat Back is favorite today but truth is I like em all !
Years past ... Queen Cutlery Co. & Case

Fixed blade : Randall Made and Ka-Bar

Gary
Knife guy since childhood . Carved them out of wood .

#108 · (Edited)
I don’t get the Cold Steel hate here. Yes, they make too many mall ninja knives, and many of their designs offered today just.....suck. But they have made great knives. I’ve had a MasterHunter for over 25 years, its carbon steel blade can be sharpened very well and it holds an edge extremely well. The rubber (Kratex?) handle gives great grip wet, dry, hot or cold. Can’t even remember the number of salmon and Kodiak blacktails I used that blade on - and it’s still performing great. Their Mini Lawman folder was an excellent EDC, a perfect (for me) kinda large pocket knife with excellent grip and great blade shape for any heavy duty use. Sadly it is discontinued as I “lost” mine after ten years by giving it to a young friend and wish I could replace it....

I replaced that EDC folder with a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian, an excellent little knife but a tad small for me. Still, I like it better than any Buck knife I’ve owned. The first was a 101 purchased in 1970. Almost impossible to sharpen and won’t hold a keen edge very well. Ditto several other sheath blades from Buck. Maybe they’ve upped their steel quality since then.

Purchased a beautiful Kershaw years ago to replace a Buck sheath blade which broke in half (!). Very pretty knife with a nice shiny blade, a brass bolster and butt - but the blade was butter soft and the edge would bend easily (yes, it would bend!). An impossible blade to use in the field, I still use it as a steak knife at home because it is so pretty, and sharp enough for the occasional ribeye.

Bottom line, most folks will either parrot what they read online, or make assumptions based on very limited personal experience (see above).

#111 · (Edited)
I was just reviewing this thread. I posted here about my “favorite” knives three years ago. I have to laugh at myself. My “favorites” change so frequently that I don‘t believe that is the right word. I referred to a Buck 110 and a Wirkala puuko and a Paragon Warlock.
i no longer carry the Buck or the Warlock. No particular reason for not other than there are other knives to try. Occasionally, i wear the Wirkala blade. I am all over the place with what I use on any day. The one commonly edc that is always in my pocket is a tiny Buck pen knife. For a good part of the three years since my other post, i carried, in pocket, a beautiful (and expensive) Wm. Henry Picata that my wife bought for me .....a knife as jewelry. I became so fearful of losing it that i stopped carrying it. The little Buck replaced that.

#113 ·
My daily carry pocket knife, an Al Mar, if I have pants on, I have it. That's the way it's been for 39 years. I normally carry a Walmart Gerber in my other front pocket, for mundane chores.

#114 ·
My top choice are Buck Knives, specifically those made by Americans in the USA. I also have a stable of Case Knives for more dressy carry.

There is always a knife in my pocket, well maybe just 99% of the time.

There are two kinds of people....those that carry a sharp and useful knife and those that don't carry one and just hope to borrow one. None of mine get loaned out any more....long story as to why, the short version being that the last borrower ended up bleeding all over my knife!!

Reactions: roseman