Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a load Ive used in some bolt rifles, 57.3 grains of IMR 4350, 150 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter spitzer, and Winchester large rifle primer. I own four different 06's, and wonder if this load will be harmful to my automatic one. Its a 742 Remington, is this generally a safe load for the old auto? (it is in perfect working order, I realize all firearms differ, but generally would this be an OK load?)

S_B

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,246 Posts
I too use IMR-4350 with my 150, 165 and 180 gr bullets, all are loaded with 57 gr. I get good accuracy out of my 06's with IMR-4350. I know some autoloader, especially the M1 Garand require a faster powder. I use IMR-4064 to load for my buddies BAR. I have not tried a slower powder in his BAR though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright Shawn, thanks for hunting that down, I did do a search before I created the thread but didnt find anything, but this one I did not find. I know the Garand isnt safe with 4350, one of my four is a garand, so the thread willbe a good source for me either way!

Thanks much for any help and for the help thus far :cool:

S_B

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
My dad quit using 4350 in his Rem auto when he ripped the head off of a case. He was using 180 grain bullets, not the lighter ones you quote, but ... I'd be leary. Think he stuck with 4064 from there on out.

Personally I like Varget with the 165gr. bullets in the .30-06, but don't know about port pressure and the Rem autos. It is double based so might not be correct?

I am going to send you an email in response to your PM, just so you know.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
My dad quit using 4350 in his Rem auto when he ripped the head off of a case.
That absolutely will happen, no maybe's, and 150's will be more of a problem than heavier bullets.

You might want to stock a supply of 4895 for 150's. The bullet is light enough to give very good speeds, and fast burning enough to prevent problems with a delayed/slow pulse.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I load IMR 4895 and 180gr bullets in a friends Rem 740. It does not like slow powders.

Barstool

·
Registered
243 Posts
Loaded almost that identical load for a friend who shot the 700 BDL. His uncle used one in his 740 and it wasn't a good thing at all. It slammed the action open so hard it bent the arm and put a decent dent in the side of the receiver. Could have been worse I suspect.

That said, this has been one of the most accurate all around loads for most bolt action rifles I have found.

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
As far as I know, the only gas gun that tolerates the slower powders is the redesigned BAR gas system that came out, I think, about 1993. There is a history of the BAR on Brownings site that includes the year and model numbers.

The rest just want medium to fast powder. Based on QuickLOAD's models, IMR4064, Accurate 4064, and Varget are the best choices for minimal port pressure without the case fill getting too low under the 150's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't know if you're a Mike Venturino fan but interestingly he had an article on this very subject in the August 2010 Handloader, issue No. 267. Frankly, I usually get better advice here, but I did think it was interesting his aricle talks about finding one load for 4 or 5 of his 30-06's. The '06 is the next thing I'm going to start loading for so I'm interested in all the info I can get, so I too appreciate the replys here. I feel like a stepchild though, I only have 2 rifles in that caliber.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
In addition to 4350 not being well-suited to gas-operated semi-autos, I have found it to be particularly temperature sensitive. I no longer use it for hunting loads unless I know I will be hunting in warmer weather that is similar to what I developed the load in. I don't use 4350 for cold-weather hunts anymore because it loses more velocity than other powders I've tried and I don't like having to sight the rifle in again simply because the temperature has dropped.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
In addition to 4350 not being well-suited to gas-operated semi-autos, I have found it to be particularly temperature sensitive. I no longer use it for hunting loads unless I know I will be hunting in warmer weather that is similar to what I developed the load in. I don't use 4350 for cold-weather hunts anymore because it loses more velocity than other powders I've tried and I don't like having to sight the rifle in again simply because the temperature has dropped.
You've gotten my curiousity aroused now since I've been using IMR4350 in all my -06's.

How cold are you talking about and how much velocity drop?

·
Registered
852 Posts
IMR 4350 in .30-06

I've used 59 gr IMR-4350 behind 150 gr Nosler BTs for years with excellent results. Worked the load up in my son's Ruger M77 and never had a problem or a pressure issue. 57 gr should not cause your auto any problem as it should be rather mild with a 150 gr bullet.:)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm a newbie here. I use IMR4350 in my .30-06 rifles that are bolt. I've shot lots of 57.5 gr. loads with 150 gr. Hornady's. I inherited a 742 Rem. .30-06 but i've not shot it much. In my garand I shoot IMR4895 and AA2520.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
You've gotten my curiousity aroused now since I've been using IMR4350 in all my -06's.

How cold are you talking about and how much velocity drop?
I was doing load development in CA and shooting at temps of 80+ and then going to Wisconsin to hunt, where it was as low as -15, so a rather large swing in temperature. I chronographed the drop in velocity at about 150fps, but the change in POI was huge. Combined with what the cold did to my wood stock, it went from 2" high at 100 yards, to 6" low! Most of that change was from the stock, to be honest. I didn't realize that until later and had already switched to 4831, which has been shown to be less temperature sensitive. This was in a 270, not an '06...but the velocity loss from 4350 is pretty well-documented.

The North American Hunter magazine ran an article some years ago where it was tested in 3 different rifles and suffered a higher percentage of velocity loss than any other powder included in their test. It was reprinted later in a book they published.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I was doing load development in CA and shooting at temps of 80+ and then going to Wisconsin to hunt, where it was as low as -15, so a rather large swing in temperature. I chronographed the drop in velocity at about 150fps, but the change in POI was huge. Combined with what the cold did to my wood stock, it went from 2" high at 100 yards, to 6" low! Most of that change was from the stock, to be honest. I didn't realize that until later and had already switched to 4831, which has been shown to be less temperature sensitive. This was in a 270, not an '06...but the velocity loss from 4350 is pretty well-documented.

The North American Hunter magazine ran an article some years ago where it was tested in 3 different rifles and suffered a higher percentage of velocity loss than any other powder included in their test. It was reprinted later in a book they published.
Thanks for the information. Since I asked the question I read a back issue of American Hunter? anyway they documented what you posted.

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
I've used 59 gr IMR-4350 behind 150 gr Nosler BTs for years with excellent results. Worked the load up in my son's Ruger M77 and never had a problem or a pressure issue. 57 gr should not cause your auto any problem as it should be rather mild with a 150 gr bullet.:)
Don't do it people. Don't think that a load that's safe in a bolt gun (or even several grains below) is going to be safe in a gas-operated auto.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Have you tried H4350 in your bolt gun for colder weather? It may not be quite as accurate as IMR , but I get better velocity from it in any weather , being one of Hogdon's ''Extreme" powders. I've had no accuracy complaints and it meters much better through the powder measure.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.