Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted a lot this summer about working up a youth load for my 11 yr old grandaughter to use. I ended up with a 95 gr Hornady SST and 33.0 gr of H4895, at 2660 FPS. You asked me to post when I had example of terminal performance.

She got to try it out on Sunday morning, on her second day hunting. (First day she only saw a fox.)

The load worked as well as could be expected, except there was no exit. I attribute that to the close range (15 yards) and shot angle.

We had spent time with a deer decoy, showing Valerie how the angle of the deer will affect where you have to aim to put the bullet in the vitals. The training must have worked.

The deer was angling slightly quarter forward, and it was a steep angle due to deer being 15 yards away and 20 feet below her. The bullet entered high in the front shoulder, either just missing or just clipping the shoulder blade. The bullet then broke three or four ribs, went right through the heart, and just passed through the diaphragm and into the tip of the liver. No stomach or intestines were punctured. The deer ran about 40 yards and piled up in some thick brush, so Valerie got to do the blood trailing, too.

A stouter bullet may have made an exit, but I think the comfort level for her to practice more and not flinch helped a lot with the shot placement.

Oh, another thing was the deer were coming from the right, so she shot off her non-dominat left shoulder.

She's one happy girl with a proud Pappa and Grand-dad.

Here's a link to a video clip of the blood trailing and recovery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XnTeQ1Gas

·
Registered
302 Posts
I saw this on TNDeer.com as well. Its always great to see a young one get their start in hunting. I wish I had my first hunt on tape. One thing that alot of people do is start a young hunter out with a rifle that is too powerful for them. I know alot of people who buy 30-30 for their 6-7 year old kids to shoot but they cant handle the weight of the rifle or the recoil. And by showing her how the vitals are laid out and how important shot angles are you have helped her success rate for years to come. Congratulations on her first kill and hopefully you have made a lifelong hunter out of her.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son was in the stand with her and has a video of the whole hunt, including the deer movng down the trail toward their stand. I haven't seen it yet, and can hardly wait.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Bringing 'em up right!

Awesome job, Jake. I bet you're one proud grandpa! Thank you for introducing a young person and a young lady, at that, to the outdoors. There will probably come a day when her generation has to fight to keep our hunting and shooting heritage alive, so it's encouraging that good men like you are doing your part. Tell her the guys at ShootersForum say, "CONGRATULATIONS!!" :)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,668 Posts
Hey that is pretty darn neat!!!! Congrats.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
that's GREAT!!! My 3 daughters have taken several deer with .243's (and now .308's). We have filmed most of them. Priceless memories and quality time with family doing something wholesome and outdoors.

Great job Dad and Grandpa!!!!!!! Keep taking that girl hunting!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
For 'youth loads' go to Hodgdons site and somewhere there is a section--YOUTH LOADS. Very simple system and loads for most all calibers/bullet weights.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
That old doe was one of the smartest deer in the woods. What a great deer! Tell Val she did a great job. You did OK too Grandpa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts