Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone were to chamber a youth model rifle in .250 and .300 Savage would they sell? Both calibers have a lot to offer young hunters . They both have excellent terminal ballistics , with mild recoil and will fit anyone's short actions . I know that ammo is not found at Wally World (but then nothing good is) But I have to think , if someone was making rifles the ammo would soon follow . I would rather put a .250 Sav. into a kids hands than what is now available . No I have nothing against the .243 or .308 . It's just that the .250 can handle a heavier bullet , and the .300 has less recoil than the .308 .

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Hear hear. I set up a .250 Savage for my son (reworked mauser). It works great and he doesn't care how many feet per second the bullets go or how much kinetic energy it has. Of course Dad had to "test drive" it on ***** and pigs last summer before the deer hunting. Quality control, you know :D :D :D

I have a 99 Savage and it's taken a few critters too.

Like you say, a little sad that factory offerings aren't more available. It's the age of the magnum, I guess?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the 300 Savage, simply because there is so much competition in the 30 caliber arena, but it does make me sad that the 250 Savage has fallen out of favor. It is a very useful cartridge that is easily the equal of the 243 Winchester and very close to the 260 Remington, without any noteworthy difference in recoil. What really confuses me is how little competition there is among 25 caliber cartridges. The 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 257 Weatherby and 25 WSSM all have very low sales numbers, while the 25-'06, which you would expect to be picking up the slack, doesn't sell all that well, itself. I'm not sure there is a better bullet diameter for younger shooters and ladies to go after deer with, and yet the quarter-bore is largely ignored. Sometimes what "works" still gets ignored, in the world of firearms and cartridges.

Maybe it's because you really want a little less bullet for varmints and a little more for big game?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
The .300 Savage was/is the early version of the .308 Win. and is a fine cartridge.

The .250-3000 Savage is another classic that has been relegated to the dust bin by the latest whizbangs. The .22-250 offspring shows what a great cartridge this really is.

Not sure what the acceptance would be today for either chambering due to the dirth of newer chamberings available today.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
As kdub said, the .300 Sav and .308 Win are pretty well identicle. The .250 Savage, while it is a great cartridge, is probably going to be a custom job. Since you won't heavier bullet capability, what is wrong with the .260 Rem or 7mm-08 Rem ? My brothers 12 year old shoots a model 7 in 7-08, and has no trouble with it. The 7-08 is one of my favortie cartridges, and with a 120gr bullet, recoil is next to nothing.

If the .25's are what you really want, the .257 Roberts (based on the 7x57 Mauser) is a great old cartridge that slightly betters the .250 Sav. Ruger offers the .257 Bobby in an Ultra Light Hawkeye. Then my last reccomendation, if you want something unique, the Ruger Hawkeye Compact comes in 7.62x39. That is essentially a 30-30 in a bolt gun.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Been thinkin on getting either a 250 Savage or 257 Roberts barrel from Midway. I think you just helped me make up my mind that it will be a 250 Savage. Think it would work ok in a long action?

I know that if it were not for starting out with something easy my son would not be the marksman he is turning into today. He still won't touch my .270 even with 90 grain varmint bullets loaded light.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Won't touch the .270 ? Let me work with him some, I'll have him shooting real guns :D The .264 qualifies as a starter rifle correct ? I'm just kidding EW.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Been thinkin on getting either a 250 Savage or 257 Roberts barrel from Midway. I think you just helped me make up my mind that it will be a 250 Savage. Think it would work ok in a long action?
The 250 will work n a long action, but you might want to block the mag to where it is shorter to improve feeding. If you have a long action, I think you would do better with the Roberts in the feeding department.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Yeah I don't have feeding issues with the .250 in the mauser action.... but.... if I wanted 100%, to guarantee it would work every time, a Roberts would be the sure bet in a mauser.

The gunsmith didn't have a .257 reamer or that's what it would have been.

A .22-250 in an Enfield action doesn't give me any problems, but the next guy might report differently.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Won't touch the .270 ? Let me work with him some, I'll have him shooting real guns :D The .264 qualifies as a starter rifle correct ? I'm just kidding EW.
Of course it's a starter for you brother! I'm so happy you're enjoying it too. If you ever get over this way you could definately work with him, and me for that matter!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is nothing wrong with the 7mm-08 or the .260 . I load both .308 and .300 Sav. A .300 Sav is no more a .308 than a .308 is a 30-06 . and the difference in recoil could be the threshold for some young lad or lady . The Roberts requires a long action and youth guns are usually short actions . ( it's a weight thing ) You folks have done a much better job on this question than the guys on GunBroker . I was getting caliber suggestions on the first post and every subsequent one over there . Isn't that hijacking ?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Were you more concerned with what make/model/action to choose, versus what cartridge?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The .300 Savage is pretty well identicle to the .308 MX. I was quoting the wrong .308, so Im sorry about that.

I really think the Ruger Compact in 7.62x39 would be a GREAT youth gun, with 30-30 power. You should definetly give it a look.

·
Registered
704 Posts
With the 6.5 Rem were talking 20 gr of powder less than the 264 I would say that puts it in the youth catagory and the lighter bullets like 120 or 129 gr should have mild recoil.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
With the 6.5 Rem were talking 20 gr of powder less than the 264 I would say that puts it in the youth catagory and the lighter bullets like 120 or 129 gr should have mild recoil.
The 6.5RM has roughly 13 ft/lbs of recoil, from an 8lb gun, whereas a 264WM has about 19 ft/lbs of recoil energy. The 6.5RM is pretty mild, comparable to a 260 Remington, but still has nearly 50% more recoil than a 243 Winchester and close to twice as much as a 250 Savage. Factory 6.5RM loads would probably be pushing it for a young or inexperienced shooter. Even the 25-'06 has slightly less recoil, and that's about the most I would recommend for a woman or young person to start hunting with.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ruger is making some nice rifles for youth/compact guns. I like that 260REM compact they have. Looks like a very slick little rifle. Scotty

·
Banned
490 Posts
To answer the original question, no, they wouldn't sell, because even though they are great rounds, ammo for the .250 and even the .300 Savage is hard to find, and they don't really do anything that a .243 or .308 wouldn't do just as well or better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts