Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a chance to buy up to 3 Yugo 8x57s. Two are stocked and one is a barreled action. Am interested in building a very traditional 7x57 sporter and wondered if one of those actions might be a reasonable choice.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Should be a fine action for your cartridge choice, fremont. A bit shorter action than the M98 and VZ.24, but fine for that cartridge. I have one waiting for a project myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
perfect choices for a 7x57 - but you may also put serious consideration to a 8x57 sporter since you already have the barrel on an action. If the bore is good in one of the current barrels, then you are in good shape for a nice rifle in a much under-rated ( and under-loaded in the US ) cartridge.
Both of my Yugo rifles are Mod 98 instead of the M48 or 24/47 and are full-length actions on WW2 capture guns. One of them was "bubba'ed" and the bore allowed to corrode away before I got it so I, too, will be rebuilding it to something else - probably a 6.5x55 in as close to an ultralight configuration as I can get it

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple follow-on questions:

1) I'm looking at the Adams & Bennett 21" Contour 1 F14 21" 7x57 barrel. If I want the true "sporter" look, would you choose this over its heavier cousin (F34)?

2) What suggestions can you give me on a front sight? I'd like a hooded ramp sight. Would a standard Williams universal work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts