Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a surplus Yugo SKS, and just took it to the range for the first time this morning. It seems to be shooting straight enough,but the it will not cycle the rounds automatically. I have checked that the gas tube valve is down and to the right, and I have even flipped it back and forth a few times, but it still won't cycle.
Is my gas tube defective? Does it need a rebuild or replacement?

Also, the action will cycle smooth enough with no issues if its empty. But if I am trying to manually cycle it after firing a shot, then it is very difficult to break the bolt back. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Sounds like your having gas leakage between the gas port barrel block and the tube that fits between it and the rear sight support assembly. Have had several Yugo SKS's with this problem which can be fixed fairly easily. Some people just use the right size o-ring but life expectancy is rather low with this method. I take a piece of wire and wind it around drill bit then cut off and make a ring similar to a piston ring that slips over the step on the tube end. It will fit into the recess of the barrel gas block. You have to experiment to find the right diameter of wire. Usually a straightened paper clip will work. This seals the extra clearance space enough so the full power of the bled off gas works the piston rod cycling the action.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
At least the version i had included an "on/off" at the top of the gas port. Was turned to "off" for grenade launching..which kept i from cycling (grenade launching tends to create a lot of back flow and over drive the action, so they just turn it off and make it a single shot for that use).

So could be as simple as a button being flipped to "off".

Are several on-line dissassembly tutorials, and a clean SKS is likely to function. Again, it's that gas port..a hole from the top tube into the barrel...that taps off gas to run the action. IF that poort if fouled or plugged up with congrealed grease, may not get the gast to run the action.

Next up is the gas piston...which runs in that upper short tube. IF it's binding or heavily fouled, it's likely to suck up the energy before cycling the action.

Under the rear sight is a short, seperarte, trasfer rod. It connects the gas piston to the bolt. That one can also get gunked up or bent (or assembled incorrectly).

IF those are in good shape, the rifle should fire and cycle the next round into the chamber.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, well, its definitely not plugged. But, the gas valve is pretty black and corroded I guess. I guess I'll get a new valve and see what difference that makes.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Have you taken it completely apart and cleaned, gas piston, everything from the gas port to the bolt? All three of mine had the gas piston and tube filled with cosmoline and if I had not taken them 100% apart it never would have functioned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. I did. Its definitely not a cosmoline issue, but I certainly see how that could be the case with a better preserved or unissued one. This looks like either the gas valve or the gas piston/tube is not sealing well enough. I have a new valve on order, so we'll see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you reassemble, keep the gas piston dry - no oil or grease! It simply blows most of it out the vent holes, and will create a lot of grunge. After each shooting session, pull the gas tube off and clean it and the piston.

I had gas leakage around my Yugo's gas valve, and simply covered it with Permatex Blue Gasket Maker - as it set I worked the valve on and off, so it still works as designed. Four years, and still working fine - cycles like it's supposed to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts