Zombie Threads. Yes or No

• No, I don't need that stuff as I like current information

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually like to read resurrected threads. A great deal of the time I find useful information from threads that were started long before I got on here and are pertinent to something I am doing now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Me like them also (y) I like to sit on my roof with my 22lr and shoot then in the head while they rummage thru my garbage looking for brains

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,921 Posts
Great info, potentially, but responding to "for sale" or "I'm looking for" posts that are 15 years old, is not terribly effective.

Unfortunately people don't look at the dates before responding.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I also am ok with a revived thread. Ive only been on this site for about 6 yrs so have missed a lot. I usually go to New then just head to the end to see what the last couple comments are. I also get a kick out of the reminder that "this threads been dead for a hundred years". Not surprisingly, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Most respectfully, I'm new here, I try to make time to read about + or - a hundred or so old threads here daily. More than several of the 'old' folks I like to read have passed on. It gives me a sense of remorse and at the same time a feeling of appreciation to know that the time they took, back then, means something now. I'm just trying to say, in a nice way, that old posts are new to me and valued. Given the efforts of those great folks who take the time to moderate here, I understand. I don't add to the old, but some of them I would like too, but don't.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,469 Posts
@Pudfark

You can reference that old post and/or include a link in your new post about that topic. There are several of the zombie threads that still have pertinent information by former and "MIA" members.

RJ

Reactions: Pudfark

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
Why not have date limited fonts? They darken or lighten or change colors with age until they're no longer readable. Just to drive us nuts, leave the title there but hide the text. :)

Reactions: Pudfark

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,871 Posts
Think RJ's suggestion is most appropriate Link the old thread in your text and continue with a new thread if you want. Have to agree, lots of useful info in old archives, just don't need to drag all the comments back with them to start the discussion anew.

·
36,921 Posts
Try suggesting feature requests to the Xenforo developers, I have. "Oh it doesn't do that and you'll just like our way better" is pretty much the standard reply.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not have date limited fonts? They darken or lighten or change colors with age until they're no longer readable. Just to drive us nuts, leave the title there but hide the text. :)
That's an interesting idea.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,302 Posts
You'll note he likes that idea so much, he's burned all of his books, load notes, and manuals; once they are older than 5 years. 🙄

Here's the thing:

Old threads are still here and available to inform, just like a library holds old books.
And just like a library, if you want to read old books that's absolutely what they are for.
If you pick-up an original work of Edgar Allen Poe, and don't agree with how he used language, will you write in the pages of that old book? Will you start asking him questions in the margins of that book? Do you honestly think you won't catch hands from the librarian if you do?

Resurrecting a zombie thread is absolutely no different than that, and it comes from the same bored, lazy people.

Frankly, if someone needs decoder rings, and magic fonts that change color to save them from themselves. They don't need to be in the library with markers....

Reactions: fxdwgpig

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have belonged to forums of one type or another for a very long time. They all have different rules for different reasons.
Having said that this is the first shooting/reloading board that wanted folks to start a new thread about a topic that has been covered before. I understand that it is better not to wake up a topic about items for sale and such but I also understand that some boards don't want hundreds of what is the best powder for... and what is a good bullet for...
When those 'newbe' questions come up folks are directed to the 'sticky' posts which are not really posts for discussion.
Is it better to have old discussions laid to rest and the same discussions started over and over or to continue the old discussions with new and current discussions taking place?
Frankly it's not my board so I try to follow the rules but it is more distracting to see the constant 'zombie thread speech' than it is to have a meaningful exchange on the old topic and new person.

·
11,469 Posts
@shooterPaul

The thing with "zombie threads" is some members that participated in them are gone or were a "one and done" so their further input is highly unlikely. Starting a new thread with a link or reference to the original thread is preferred as it puts the OP's name on it plus any questions or additions the OP may have on the subject or individual post.

Requesting an answer from faucettb (RIP buddy) in one of his old threads for instance? Not going to happen, but a reference or link to the thread will get more favorable attention than just adding to the existing thread. A thread that's less than say 5(?) years old will likely still be responded to by the OP provided they remember it.

RJ

·
Registered
621 Posts
RJ,
I grant you your point but a continuing conversation with new input does, to me, make more sense than a brand new thread. I would bet that few people would follow a link but those same people could add quality input on the subject.
Like I said, it's not my forum and I will follow the rules.
What I said above was that all the other forums I have been on didn't want a high number of threads that were about the same newbe questions over and over.

·
11,469 Posts
@shooterPaul

I grant your point, but the majority of those restarted zombie threads were started by people that are no longer here. That the whole point of starting a new thread is new blood.

RJ

·
Registered
621 Posts
What about the experience and wisdom from those folks who have passed? We still have a part of them in those posts. Is that knowledge and wisdom out of date? Are we burying our history because those involved are no longer here?

I'm going to stop here. I think we understand each others view and there is no need for me to discuss this when the rules are made. All that does is put me in a bad position. It has been an honorable discussion, thank you.

·
36,921 Posts
The zombie thread problem started with the switch from vBulletin to Xenforo. Xenforo has "suggested reading" or whatever that doesn't discriminate between threads started yesterday, and in 2001.

Pay attention to the thread dates and all this goes away. Simple as that.

Clicking on a member's name will show you when they last logged in, and suggest whether it is likely that they will answer your question.

I think the worst I saw was someone jumping into a conversation that ended 19 years ago...... and expecting an answer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yea ... but the info is priceless. .
Would you say it's ok to add to.. and I've noticed that were ever we ask a question answer's pop up from multiple bloggers. .
Just because the original op is no longer with us .. just saying ☺.. I know I've done this by accident many times .. Thanks

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,302 Posts
Yea ... but the info is priceless. .
Would you say it's ok to add to..
From this Sticky:

"If you'd like to continue the general premise, or take it on your own tangent. Then please, start your own thread. If some context from the original is needed for your thread, by all means, please link it in your post. You can do a very basic "Cut-n-Paste", or use the link tool like many of the staff does. "

Again, think of it as a library. Read, re-read, and learn to your hearts content. But don't write in the pages of an old book.

Cheers

Reactions: jimboro
1 - 20 of 21 Posts